Sunday, July 02, 2006

Dabbling Diva.

Those of you who have read my old blog knew that I had started dabbling in songwriting. Well, here is another, with original lyrics and music stolen from a very popular karaoke hit. A draft of this song was first composed by a group of us Peace Corps trainees during our orientation back at the beginning of June. About 2 weeks ago, I took the liberty of revising it...


I'M STILL ALIVE (sung to the tune of "I Will Survive")

First I got my shots, and was immunized.
Still uncertain how I'll live without wifi...
Spent my first few nights wondering how I'd get along,
If I'd grow strong,
So I went and wrote this song!

And now I'm here,
In this strange place,
Where the sun is beating down all day upon my face.
I'm learning to speak French:
"Je n' sais pas" and "C'est la vie,"
And now a man I hardly know has just tried holding hands with me!*

And so I do,
And it's okay.
And now the smile that's spreading on my face will never go away.
That is, unless I get the runs,
Which'll put a damper on my fun.
I might not thrive,
But I'm alive.
ça va aller!



* Although homosexuality is frowned on in Burkina Faso (and incredibly dangerous to engage in), it is not uncommon for 2 men or 2 women to be seen walking hand-in-hand in public, as an expression of their familiarity and friendship. Ironic, no?

2 comments:

jin said...

Excellent song!!!

Good to see you haven't lost your sense of humour!
:-)

Anonymous said...

Your song made me laugh. I love being able to check up on you. I hope that things are going swimmingly (frustrating language classes aside) and that you get to come back and visit at some point. You better return with a TON of photos!!!